Monday, October 4, 2010

On Sale at the Border

About once a week, I have the joy of being one of the thousands of people that day to wait an hour or two in the border line to cross from Tijuana into the US. As an eternal tourist in Mexico, I enjoy spending my wait peering into the little shops on the side of the road, checking out what new products they have to sell me this time. Usually its pretty much the same stuff -ponchos, 'luchador' wrestling masks, banks shaped like donkeys, giant ceramic turtles, blankets with a picture of the Virgin of Guadalupe, etc.

Recently though, a new product has become tragically common to sell at the border - young girls.

I invite you to read this article written by one of our YWAM staff and watch the video of what he saw during a recent border crossing. I will warn you though - it is disturbing, but it really did happen here in a very public place that I frequent each week (the border line). I don't put this up to shock anyone - everyone reading this I'm sure has heard all kinds of bad stuff that supposedly happens here in Tijuana. I only share this with you as a way of including you in what is happening around me. Like I said, I cross the border about once a week. To my recollection I've never seen anything like this, but perhaps its because I was too distracted by the ponchos and giant turtles...

"Selling Sex at the Border" Article
www.stepsofjustice.org

3 comments:

Thomas Yang said...

Thanks for the update, Susie! I read your friend's blog and couldn't believe that just happened in broad daylight. Made me so sad and angry.. :(

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and the TJ area.

Hope you are well, miss ya!

Sam. said...

Susie! i just bought and downloaded the 30 day prayer guide to do during October. I wish I knew about this ministry sooner, because well, I missed today, but I'm just going to do it tomorrow.
I also just saw an exclusive on tv last week about the increase in sex trafficking at the border, so it's been heavier on my heart.
Prayers.

Sarah said...

And don't forget the roasted corn, oh how I love to eat it while waiting to cross the border.

happy day friend,
Sarah Bedenkop