Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mexico's Bicentennial

This year we celebrated 200 years of Mexican independence!
going to the parade in downtown TJ on September 16th

marching band
me and my boyfriend Abraham at the parade

traditional Mexican costumes
cutest kid ever riding a pony with a huge sombrero

The night before Independence day, they have the "grito de independencia" - the shout of independence. The whole city joins together at the government building to commemorate the holiday, and of course, they shout "VIVA MEXICO!!!"
Me with my huge Mexican flag

Abraham is not as patriotic as me... he gets a small flag, haha
celebrating in downtown TJI love these flags, they're so patriotic

Back at the base we had a big dinner and I helped translate as my friend Dina shared the story of the Mexican independence.
at the base cooking traditional Mexican Empanadas

What a great celebration!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I had to read a bit more ... because I caught the comment about the blown kiss in the first post I read. The sleuth in me had to figure out who this handsome Abraham was ... and now I got it.

Susie, you look so happy and full of joy. Would love to chat sometime. Do you have skype?

Happy happy,
Sara