Sunday, March 7, 2010

Susie, the Übersetzerin!

Recently, I had the privilege of being the "Übersetzerin" or translator for a Swiss team that came to our base. First, I went out with them on a house build, and got to experience my first every tri-lingual house dedication: German (swiss student) to English (swiss leader) to Spanish (me)! Here's a picture of the family that was blessed with a house built by the Swiss team...
Another great experience I had with this team was translating for them at the church in colonia Antorcha, where we have the Circulo kids ministry. They went to two services, where they shared German songs, had a kids program and preached. It was really cool to see how some of the students who didnt speak very much English really challenge themselves and get up in front of the church to share their testimony (they shared in English,their second language, and I translated to spanish). At the end of each service, they had a wonderful time of ministering to the congregation through prayer. Two people made the decision to give their lives to Christ after those services and I had the opportunity to pray with them to become Christians. Amazing!!!

me translating at the church in Antorcha for the swiss team leader, Daniel

me (left) translating for the pastor in Antorcha as he prays a blessing over the Swiss team

At the end of their time here, the Swiss team went down to Ensenada to help out with the Carnaval ministry there for a few days. Although I didn't translate for them there, I got to drive them down, and then go on a whale watching tour - how fun! (or so I thought...) I've always wanted to see whales in the wild and now this is my chance! About 45 minutes into the trip I started to feel alittle whoozy, but that was forgotten about once we saw a pod of dolphins swimming right next to our boat - so cool! But after that, things starting going down hill for my stomach, and i ended spending about 4 of the 4.5 hour tour so seasick I didn't see anything expect for the back of my eyelids and the toliet bowl. Oh well, next time I'll take drammamine before hand and hopefully actually see some whales... I saw a couple blow holes, but I'm not sure that counts.

I'm so thankful for this Swiss team that came and know that the ministry they did in colonia Antorcha will carry on long after they are gone. I feel so blessed to have been a part of it!

No comments: