Friday, October 16, 2009

Bringing Chicago Fall to Mexico

Fall is upon us! It's getting chilly, there's pumpkin-flavored food and drinks in the stores, people are putting out there Halloween decorations, and my family is starting to talk about Christmas lists (already?!) I had the chance to return home from Mexico over Columbus day weekend, and I realized how beautiful fall is in my city! Leaves changing from green to yellow, orange and red and covering the ground is such a difference from where I live in Mexico, where it hasn't rained in months and everything is brown and dead. Here's a picture of the street where I live in Elmhurst, IL.

While I was home, I was so privileged to speak at a missions conference at my church. I shared about building houses in the colonias and teaching math and reading to the kids there. The more I shared about my ministry, the more I thought bout how much I couldn't wait to get back! I wanted to think of something special to bring to the kids I teach to share with them about where I live. The changing colors of fall were so apparent everywhere, I thought they would love to enjoy them as well!

Collecting leaves at the Prairie Path in Elmhurst to bring to the kids in Mexico

Well it turns out I was right, the kids LOVED the leaves I brought to them! First, I read them a kids picture book about Chicago and they thought it was so cool to see tall buildings, the polar bear from the Lincoln Park zoo, the football field (our kind of football, not mexican futbol/soccer) and the aquarium next to Lake Michigan. They also pointed out that our planetarium looks just like the IMAX theater that is in downtown Tijuana.

Then I moved on to talk about the 4 different seasons and asked them about what happens during each season. (By this time I had several of the moms listening in as well, as they also wanted to see what it was like in Chicago). The kids pretty much knew about the hot summers and the cold winters ("and it SNOWS!" one boy shouted out in amazement). But as far as fall and spring goes, they weren't really sure. Here in Tijuana, we pretty much just have the dry season and the rainy season and don't experience the extreme changes in weather like in Chicago.

So after I explained about snow melting and flowers sprouting up in the spring, I went on to tell them about our fall in Chicago. I had grabbed a few leaves that were still green with a little red/orange from the bag, and explained to them how they start green and eventually change color then fall off the tree to the ground. Then I handed out different color leaves to all the kids and they were A-MAZED. My 3rd and 4th graders in Mexico just loved when I handed them out the leaves I'd gathered from the trees in Chicago - something like they had never seen before!!! I also showed them the picture of the tree I got them off of and they thought that was pretty awesome too.

Even the moms wanted to get in and see the colorful fall leaves I had brought from my hometown. It was such a great day, getting able to share with the kids that I love about my home that I love. Also exposing them to something completely new to them was fun to watch how they reacted.

Here with some helpers from the LA DTS, all my kids got to take colorful leaves - a little glimpse of Chicago - home to show their family and friends. What a great day in the colonia at Circulo Andante!

"There is a time for everything; a season for every activity under heaven" ~Ecclesiastes 3:1

1 comment:

MovieMama said...

How wonderful it is that you are improving the lives of these folks in need. I am so proud of what you can do for them. Stay safe.