Thursday, August 6, 2009

DTS News

It's August already!? Wow, can't believe it. When I first got to Mexico, the time went by very slowly, and now I feel like it just won't slow down! I've been here for 7 weeks now and full of craziness. As you probably know, my main job here at YWAM Tijuana is DTS staff. DTS stands for Discipleship Training School and a school for missionaries and the basic training you need to be on staff with Youth With A Mission (YWAM). I just completed my DTS last February in Ensenada. Now I will be working with the DTS here in Tijuana that begins in September. Before September felt like a long way away, but now I realize the start of the school is coming up quickly!

A few weeks ago, we had DTS staff training here at the Tijuana base. Rob is a really cool Canadian guy who is our school's director and he and his wife talked to us all about what it means to lead a DTS. Part of the school involves lectures, but us staff don't participate in those (other than listening intently to the speakers and maybe translating). But what we do participate in is everything else - small groups/bible studies, workshops, work duties, language classes, local outreaches, prayer sessions, outreach preparation, one-on-one meetings, and so much more!!! Most of our staff just finished their DTS so we know we love DTS and are excited about it, but we have alot to learn about what goes into running a Discipleship Training School.

Our staff is made of of 10 people from 4 different nations, 5 girls and 5 guys.
  • Rob (our director), Laurena, Brodie - Canada
  • Johny and Sergio - Mexico
  • Elsi - Colombia
  • Amy, Brooke, Andy, and me - USA
I'm really excited to have such a multicultural group as staff, people from different countries, different ages, and different life experiences. I have really enjoyed the last few weeks being able to get to know everybody a lot more here. I'm the "new girl", since everyone else on base has been serving in Tijuana (TJ) for a while, or just finished their DTS in Tijuana in February (when I did). All in all, I'm really like the community aspect here and feel like I am really going to enjoy being a part of the TJ family here at the base.

We also just learned that we will be holding another DTS in TJ in January!! So now we have to plan 2 schools (at once!) and all figure out what our roles will be in each school. Exciting!!!

No comments: