Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Building a Roof

Sunday night we had the opportunity to go to a youth center in downtown San Jose. It was just like one big room and they had a projector screen that they were playing videos on and listening to music. We also played ping pong and foosball with the youth. It was alittle awkward at first because not many of the people there spoke english, but I put my translating skills to good use and got some good conversations going between the Washington team and the locals. I even had one guy teaching me some salsa moves, it was great. Then there was a speaker, who really could not have been more than 16 years old, that talked about prayer. Worship music and games finished up a great night of bonding.

Yesterday we were back at the worksite and I did some more translating. There is one Costa Rican guy, Memo, who runs all the construction stuff and then some other adult men from the Washington team that do most of the heavy work and the kids just help out wherever they can. As the only one that spoke spanish, I ended up on the roof with Memo and one of the other men translating between the two of them, and eventually they handed me a hammer and put me to work as well. It was great, because I felt like I was actually helping (instead of just supervising, which I do alot) and it was pretty cool to be up on the roof hammering away.

More work at the construction site for the rest of the week, we need to get the house done by Thursday. I just hope the rain stops!!

No comments: